Nintendo has released a new firmware update for the Switch. This takes the system from Version 8.1.0 to 9.0.0 and includes the usual stability enhancements as well as a number of other improvements. There’s also an update for both Joy-Con controllers.
In Version 9.0.0, users can now search for select articles in the News Channel section, use a QR Code feature to check-in, set alarm notifications and configure touch screen sensitivity settings (or swap to stylus sensitivity). There’s a special Switch Lite feature in there, too.
Apart from this, “Online Play Invites” allows you to invite your friends to supported games and a number of general changes have been made to enhance the overall experience. This includes a Fire Emblem: Three Houses fix, resolving an issue where users who recently purchased the Expansion Pass were unable to start the game.
This update will also make your system compatible with the recently announced wireless SNES controller (designed for use with the Switch Online SNES App). For more information about these controllers, check out our guide.
Added the following system functionality:
- Added a search feature for the News Channel.
- Channels can be searched using filters or free text.
- Added “Display QR Code to Check In” to User Settings.
- You can display a QR Code on-screen to check in using your Nintendo Account.
- Alarm Notifications have been added to System Settings > Notifications.
- You can check or delete pre-set alarms.
- Alarms can be set up only within supported software (to be added at a later time).
- A controller firmware update may be required to use this feature.
- You can now configure touch screen sensitivity settings.
- Select between Standard and Stylus sensitivity (optimized for stylus input).
- Added the option to turn on/off the system button input (Nintendo Switch Lite only).
- When this setting is turned off the system no longer receives input from the console buttons, with the exception of the Capture and HOME Buttons, and can only be operated from a wirelessly paired controller (sold separately).
- This setting is on by default and can only be turned off if a compatible controller (sold separately) is wirelessly paired to the console.
- The setting will automatically turn back on when the console is restarted or after returning from sleep mode.
- Added “Online Play Invites” section to the User’s page.
- Invites from friends to join online play in supported software will be displayed in this section.
- General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience.
- Resolved an issue where some users can’t start the Fire Emblem: Three Houses game, and get an error instead.
To manually perform a system update, open the system settings menu, select System and then select update. To update the controllers, open the Controllers and Sensors menu and then select the option to update controllers.
Have you installed this update yet? Discovered anything else? Tell us in the comments.